Friday, February 27, 2009

Shotgun Wedding in Iran

I can't wait to get my hands on this book: Honeymoon in Tehran by Azadeh Moaveni.



Azadeh, an American journalist, was working as a foreign correspondent in Tehran in 2005 when she fell in love with a local guy and ended up pregnant. This is a sticky situation in Iran, where Islamic authorities serve up some pretty harsh punishment for evidence of premarital sex. So, Azadeh was forced to arrange a rushed muslim wedding (she's of Iranian descent) while trying to find ways to disguise her bump until the marrige was legit.



From her new home in London, where she lives now with her husband and son, Azadeh wrote Honeymoon in Tehran to chronicle the ordeal. Wanna read it with me? You can pick up a copy at Amazon.

4 comments:

© John Warwick Arden said...

I have read this book, and it is a beauty. I am reading a lot about everything from Islamic fundamentalism to the history of hostilities in Gaza lately, but that is not why I write.

Just wanted to let you know this is a beautiful site.

Keep up the good work.

Anonymous said...

Sounds very interesting. I will definately read it :-) thanks for tip

RPM said...

thanks! i definitely want to check this out!

Valerie Rojas Braverman said...

what a great book suggestion...thanks for sharing! i love your blog...mainly because i LOVE traveling. also, your post on Fiji's Turtle Island Resort makes me want to visit there so much more. Isn't it dreamy? p.s. thanks for following being red! I can't wait to see what else is in store! lots of love. xo